Top 15 Things Record Label A&Rs and Major Label Executives Want To Know
For the artists out there that are trying to get a record deal I thought it would help for you to know what record industry a&rs want to know when you go into that first all important meeting at the record label. These questions should help you get prepared in advanced.
1. Are you hungry enough to sign a 4 album record contract that is full of loop holes and an advance you’ll never make back?
2. Are you ready to put on all the people in your neighborhood as producers, a&r’s and managers even know they know nothing about making music or working in the entertainment industry?
3.Did you use Fruity Loops to make all the tracks on your album?
4. Do you rap or sing through AutoTune?
5. Do you mind wasting all of your advance money and royalties leasing expensive cars and licing in a mansion in Miami and not paying child support to your babies mama? Trust me this one will get great PR for you.
6. When you get arrested and the police take your mug shot, will you try and keep your D&G sun glasses on?
7. Do you have an issue endorsing pimp cups, drugs, or a high energy supplement called CRACK.
8. Can we make a reality show where you get married, have a child, get divorced and then go to rehab? This would be spread out over several seasons of course.
9. Who is your plastic surgeon?
10. Have any of your S#X tapes been released yet?
11. For your single can we sample and remake a song we already own the rights to? This way we get all the royalites?
12. Can you make an album that is really wack, because we already have a our hands full with better artists but we need some tax write offs?
13. Can you promote drugs and violence because we need more of that on the streets?
14. Can you go get me some Cheesecake?
and last but not least….
15. Whats in it for me?
After reading this hopefully you’ll be prepared with all the right answers for your first major A&R meeting.
You might want to review these questions with your manager, publicist and entertainment lawyer in advance. Answering these questions during your A&R meeting will be essential to getting your record deal.
If you meeting goes bad you might want to look into the resources independent musicans have been using for years.
Distriubtion for your Single, EP, or Album on Itunes.
All about music marketing from the best there is Bob Baker.
All about public relations for musicians.
Liscensing your music in television and film.
This music industry career guide has been brought to you by Gnxmusic.com.
Need hip hop production and beats visit ineedbeats.com
You may reprint or post this article on your website but the links must remain in the article.
Copyright Gnxmusic 2009